Sunday, April 09, 2006

Anti-War Movement......Where are thou?

I was thinking about this today. While doing final paper on Bosnian Genocide, I was also listening to some tunes on my ipod, when this hit me........They used to be strong anti-war movement in this nation, where did they all went?

Some say, the peace movements of the past, had one thing going for them, they had elected officials. Even though not as many in the senate, we do have anti-war movement house members. Few points why I think, the anti-war movement has lost some steam.....Please add your own........

1. Government has learned from Viet. era, on how to deal with public out-cry. e.g Hide the dead soldiers.

2. Media acts as part of the government. No sense of telling us, what really is happening. Why would they, when they are making billions on the war.

3. Feminist leaders of the past, who have been great fighters of civil rights and peace movements, have been swept by educated women, who have no clue to what movement means, nor even give credit to those who have given them the rights they enjoy today.( I will write about this, another time, I think feminism was noble, but the final product is lacking face.

4. Not declared war. Over 100,000 people dead, but that ain't a war they say.

5.................

Finally, I think we have to have a good anti-war song. We need anti-war song(s) that can last next 50 years. Let me hear it, if there are any!!!!! I haven't heard any good peace(anti-war) songs since those that were made before I was born........Like this one.........

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH -
There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware.

-
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down.
-
There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind.
-
I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down.
-
What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side.
-
It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down.
-
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away.
-
We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down.

Buffalo Springfield

7 Comments:

Blogger lauren said...

I think it goes back to your earlier question: What does our generation stand for? The 60s and 70s were a crazy time, and that generation stood for peace and love. Unfortunately, not as many young people are plugged into - or care about - politics as our parents were. It's a shame, really.

But I think the rest of the country gets it. There may not be huge peace marches every weekend, but a recent poll conducted (I think) by the NY Times suggested that 70% of Americans think Bush is mis-handling the war in Iraq, and don't approve of his actions there.

6:38 AM  
Blogger dawnmarie said...

ok, i just have to say, that I kind of laugh at people who stage protests on street corners. Sure they have the right to protest, blah blah blah. But 10 people on a street corner is not going to convince anyone to change their mind, and its not going to get any elected officials attention. There are much better ways to spend your time and to make your views known.

just sayin.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Rocketstar said...

Great post Dem. I think there is another aspect to this, religion. Bush used it to get elected and carried it through to the war.

It is Christianity against Islam. In Bush's speach to go to war, he used Jihad and he knew why he was using it.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Dem Soldier said...

Lauren.....Does the rest get it? I don't know about that. We need strong peace movement...I don't see it.

Dawn......The world has been changed by very few people doing that. If there are only ten, that doesn't make their grievence less important to elected officials to pay attention nor make their cause blah blah. I can tell U, students at the U, with only few of them have changed what the university can do or can't do, while 50,000 others walk-by.

Rocket, I agree. Religion is very good wedge issue, where U can turn good people to follow your hateful ideals.

Good points all around. What about the songs? Peace movements of the past hard one song that said it all......

10:17 PM  
Blogger lauren said...

I don't know that there are any songs, except remakes ("What's going on" was redone). The growth of hip hop, much of which glorifies street violence, precludes any kind of peace song, don't you think?

I think religion isn't as much of a divisive issue as FEAR. Both political parties have used fear as propaganda or their tagline.

I think most of the nation agrees that the war sucks and Bush can't seem to control the situation over their. I think they just aren't out marching. The only people marching these days are illegal immigrants.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Dem Soldier said...

Lauren.....I think some how, we need songs to restart this lazy peace movement........

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP celexa repalcement Erie tv news http://www.ativan-anxiety-medication.info Impotence medications Protonix vs prilosec discussion lamictal interaction Countess mara shirts Clomid ovulation time Backpacks super break blue corduroy 2 percocet a day withdrawals Oxycontin 30mg Internet web page hosting

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home