Friday, September 22, 2006

The south in my rear view mirror.

Nothing much school is going great. I love this time of the year, not hot, not cold, very good. No Mr. Mac Davis "Texas in my rear view mirror", U had it wrong........It's the south in my rear view mirror. As I promised, my take on the state of the South is both one of hope and gloom.

First, the south I write here is that of middle belt (Miss, Alabama, LA, Texas), not Florida, or coastal regions of the old south. This isn't bashing, but critical look on what I have seen in my brief period in this region of America. U can disagree with me, but I don't really give rat's arse if U think I'm too critical on the region. It's what I saw, and what I saw ain't that bright.
It's still hateful place, where rural black communities do not enjoy the wealth of this great nation, and are still left behind in a misery of sh*t. Some places look like third world, where one may or would think, the Katrina victims look rich. Educational support which was my groups goal, is what's lacking here, many young children that I have met are way off on their age and grade. What the f*** are these parents doing to their kids and why are they not taking them off from these schools, town schools which have failed, and have no hope? I do not know, but the south of the past is still well and with us.
Religion can't help U if your nothing, have nothing, ignored by your elected officials, and passed by globalization. School after school, teachers seem to emphasise religion and daily prayers, f* prayer, and the South. Yeah go ahead U sh*ts keep praying, praying, praying.

Gotta go, will finish 1st part later...

2 Comments:

Blogger lauren said...

You ask what is wrong with the parents that they don't take their children from the local schools that have failed them. But where are they going to go? The schools that fail are in the most impovershed parts of the South - or in any city - where people can't afford fancy private schools or the fee associated with busing to the next district over. It's a vicious cycle... the parents may not know any better and if they do, their socio-economic status prevents them from doing anything about it.

I was born in Mobile, Alabama, and went to school there until I was 10, when we moved to Ohio. I was fortunate enough to attend a Catholic school because my parents had - or at least, made sure they had - the funds to send me there. It was common knowledge even then that the public school system there sucked. I remember my mother telling me that I was lucky: I didn't have to bring two packs of toilet paper with me on my first day of school to meet the demand for basic supplies.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Dem Soldier said...

"But where are they going to go?"

Ok, I agree with U the options they have is very small, but I still know where I would have done even in these harsh SOS, do what-ever to get them off these schools.

No-child-left-behind does address this issue and I have to also say the churches I have seen in my time there, I have to say these churches are the best option to have these kids educated.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home