Thursday, February 09, 2006

Shameeeee.

Every time I see one of them starring at me, looking if I have a dollar to give, standing next to a ramp, street corner, or walking down the road, it remains me how fortunate you and me must be, to have a home, family, health, and most of all, people who care us. Why is this not our top agenda? I think it should be, no one is weaker than them. They all share the grimmy face, and uncleanness. Who Am I talking about? The homeless.

I wish the homeless people that I see almost every day going to school, or work, have name tags(Not the usual go Viking/twins sign) that would tell me, what their names are, who they were, or if they were Vietnam vets as many of them are homeless, where were they born, do they have/had children, where are there relatives, why in MN, and not in a better place like Miami or places little bit warm, where do they went to HS, or do they have higher education, where do they go when they feel sick, or don't they????????

I don't know what it will do for me, knowing all the answers above, but I think it would have made many others to see them as real people, instead of saying, walk, walk, just walk-away, or looking down on them. Many of us, learn in life that, we should help those that are homeless, giving aid to those who have less than us, is very important to most people, but I still don't see large effort or any one helping!

Friend once told me, who wants to help those who don't want to help themselves? It's unbelievable how wrong this is, because one thing that many don't understand is that, homelessness isn't a choice almost all of them are sick, have some kind of illness. They have MS, PTS, or are MENTALLY ILL. I haven't seen any one with these diseases helping themselves!! (May be some bloggers) If this is the case as it has been proved many times by doctors, why are we not helping them? Why not the state? Yes, in MN we have done better than many states that I have been to, but still it looks they grow and double their population every giving afternoon.

I don't have the answers to all of these, I know these people have to be helped, both by the state, federal government, and by us, and us.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rocketstar said...

This sparks to mind the thought that just think if all of the anti-choice zealots would first turn all of their energy and resources to those humans who already exist in this country that need help.

Let them first start with all of the children in this country who go hungry every night, then take care of the adults, then maybe they could turn their efforts of taking away others rights to do with their bodies as they see fit.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Dem Soldier said...

Wad up rocket!!

Yeah man, every time I see one of them mentioning they are anti'choice, and call some women as killers, I ask myself the same questions and thoughts you have raised.

Rocket....Do U think, the homeless are growing in numbers in MN? I went to Humphery Center at the U, today to get some numbers, but think what? Nothing.......

7:27 PM  
Blogger Nerdine said...

you know - they just started a business to help the homeless here in Oslo... It's really neat. There's a bunch of people who have started a magazine that they sell cheap to the homeless, so they can sell them with a profit. The magazine is called "=Oslo" (Equals Oslo) and is about the stories of the people selling the magazines. I haven't bought all the issues, but pretty darn close. You can see in their eyes they so prefer selling these magazines than walking on the streets begging. It gives them some dignity. And in every new issue you get to read something about them. And pictures. Big smily pictures, and dramatic stories. One time they also printed poems and a shortstory written by a young woman who became a drug addict as a teenager.
This project has made the homeless much closer in a way - you know something about them.
One issue costs around 6-7 dollars - I can easily spend that on a magazine..

5:02 AM  
Blogger Rocketstar said...

Nerdine, intersting story. Norwegians have always been ahead of the curve in my eyes.

Dem,

I don't know. As you mentioned, it is cold here so I think that acts as a natural deterrent to be home less here, rather than hitchhicking further south.

Interstingly, or unfortunately, last night going home I passed a young lady on the street that was holding a sing that said, "Homeless and Pregnant" and the second part was obviously true.

That was tough to see... You wonder what her story is, how did she come to be in this horrible situation. If I didn't already have two young kids at home and had space, I might of stopped.

5:34 AM  
Blogger DA said...

We have our "Streetnews" sellers over here for about 10 years now I guess. They have a new initiative now. Aim is to reduce the homeless people by 75% by 2010. (by giving them a roof over their head that is:-)

I sometimes stop and have a talk with them. Recently I talked to Ben. He misses an eye and is somewhat confused. He started bragging about his ability to use the train every other day. I told him that he must feel privileged being able to do that. "Yes", he said "many homeless people never leave their bridges, but I see something of the world". I bought his Streetnews and greeted him.

Was trying to ad a moral to the story but can't come up with a suitable one. Just a story then..

Good post

10:39 AM  
Blogger RedNeckGirl said...

Great post dem......we all need to be reminded that we are not so different from those homeless people on the street.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home